9/2/24 (about 8/31/24)

a rare boon. on saturday, august 31, 2024 my wife and i entered a farm stand a few minutes before closing. a woman was walking out the back door, and the corn left on the display table was withered and sere. the woman came back and asked if we were looking for anything. i said "we wanted some corn, but this stuff is a bit dinky." she said "come with me" and led us out to the walk-in cooler. "fresh-picked today.” she removed a knife from her person and gouged the mesh produce sack. then stepped back, then handed me a bag, and i selected four ears. we returned inside, my wife and i followed by the woman. lily counted some quarters, and i got out two dollar bills. money in my hand, the woman settled herself behind the counter and said for us to take corn "as my gift." we sort of gestured at insisting, but we didn't. and the dog was bouncing around in the backseat of the car. and the corn was some of the tastiest of the summer.

No comments: